[frame src=”/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/img-us-passport-status-560.jpg” width=”200″ height=”200″ align=”right” style=”2″ linkstyle=”normal” linksto=”/passport-renewal” title=”Passport Renewal”]If you were over 16 years old when you got your passport, it will only be valid for 10 years. In that 10 years, you may have to make a few changes, but certainly the last thing you’ll have to do in those 10 years is renew your passport.
Renewing your passport can be much easier than you might expect. In fact, you may not even have to leave home to have your passport renewed. There are a couple different ways to process your passport renewal: You may want to renew by mail, or you may want to have someone the process for you and use a passport service to complete your passport renewal quickly and accurately.
If you want to process your passport renewal by mail, there are a few requirements that you must meet:
- Your most recent U.S. Passport must be undamaged
- Your passport was issued after you were 16 years old
- Your passport was issued less than 15 years ago
- Your passport must have your current name on it
- If your passport does not have your current name on it, you must be able to show legal documentation of your name change
If you don’t meet these requirements, you must apply for your U.S. Passport renewal in person.
If you do meet these requirements, you may renew your passport by mail. Here are the steps to complete the process by mail:
- Complete and print the Form DS-82. This can be done online or by hand.
- Sign and date your completed Form DS-82.
- Submit your Completed Form DS-82along with these additional documents:1. Your most recent U.S. Passport
2. Two identical passport photos
3. Your passport renewal fees
4. If your name has changed, include a marriage certificate or court order documenting the name change
The documents you are sending are sensitive items, so you probably want to use some kind of traceable delivery method when you mail your items in a padded envelope to:
National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90155
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0155
When you get your passport renewal package in the mail, you should give the process about 4-6 weeks before you should expect your new passport back. But when you get it, you should be all set for the next 10 years.
This is a great site to visit that can help with several different passport services including Passport Renewal. Click here >>